Thursday, February 21, 2013

0
my friends are the peachiest of peaches.



i adore words and i adore letters. in fact, i frequently find myself mourning the lost art form of letter-writing. words have always deeply affected me, just ask anyone who has called someone a peach in front of me (i swoon, every time) and a handwritten letter has always touched a special place in my heart (so if you feel compelled to write me while in ireland, i wouldn't object). there is something about the written word and the simple thought behind someone taking precious time to write out their thoughts to you that is simply beautiful. every summer i try to resurrect this practice and write letters, but it rarely works.  i once again came to ireland hoping to keep up with writing letters to share my memories with friends and family back home. 


little did i know how lovely and precious all of my friends and family back home are. before stepping on the plane, i was given a large stack of letters and notes from my beautiful friends and darling sisters. i was so touched and reading these words of encouragement has meant the world to me, enveloping me in love every day and giving me the courage to live abroad. my sister sarah wrote me a series of cards for all of the feelings i will inevitably feel, since she will not be here to help me deal with them. she truly is a peach. and a gem. and an angel. and i love her. in addition to the expected emotions (anger, insecurity, homesickness, etc.) she included surprises for when i feel rebellious (to prevent further tattoos) and for when i need a fairytale (as in every.single.day.).  and yes, you should be jealous that you don't have her as your delightful sister.


please don’t let the art of hand-written letters die. enjoy life. and above all, don’t give up on fairytales.
 

  



0 comments:

Post a Comment